|المعرفة (جبير الحكيم)|
Jubair has declared that every text in Damascus must be destroyed. He says the pages harbor only lies and their words corrupt men's minds. He preaches this to his students, and they support him without question. They meet each day inside the Madrasah Al-Kallāsah. Another of these gatherings is about to occur. I will attend as well. Not to listen to this madness, but to end it.
الطائر entered the Bureau and was greeted by its Rafiq.
- Rafiq: It's the hero of Damascus! Come in, stay a while! Tell me all about your adventures.
- الطائر: I'm afraid I don't have the time.
- Rafiq: I see, too important for me now.
- الطائر: It's not that.
- Rafiq: No, no, of course not. How may I serve you then?
- الطائر: المعلم has asked I take the life of the one they call Jubair.
- Rafiq: Ah, Salāḥ ad-Dīn's chief scholar. Strange choice of target in my opinion. But who are we to question the Master's work. I'm sure he has his reasons.
- الطائر: Then you're familiar with the man?
- Rafiq: He's been quite busy these past few days. Organizing the scholars and sending them into the streets to preach.
- الطائر: What do they speak of?
- Rafiq: Light and fire, cleansing sins, apocalyptic nonsense if you ask me. All this talk of paths, and a New World.
- الطائر: What about this New World?
- Rafiq: Couldn't say. I don't pay attention to the ramblings of madmen. Much too busy with real work.
- الطائر: Very well. I'll walk among the people, see what I can learn. Where would you suggest I search?
- Rafiq: South of here you'll find an academy and a guard tower. They're both good places to search. There's also a hospital to the east you might want to visit.
- الطائر: I'll begin at once.
- Rafiq: So eager! You've certainly changed, and for the better, I might add.
After gathering all the knowledge he could, الطائر returned to the Bureau.
- Rafiq: What news, الطائر?
- الطائر: I've learned much about my enemy.
- Rafiq: Share what you know then.
- الطائر: Jubair has become obsessed with purging the city of its knowledge.
- Rafiq: A most terrible crime! Now I see why المعلم wants you to remove him.
- الطائر: He's using the city scholars to assist him. They go out into the streets, harassing the people and collecting all their written works. I fear he intends to destroy them all.
- Rafiq: He must be stopped!
- الطائر: That's why I'm here. He's to hold a meeting soon, at the Madrasah Al-Kallāsah. It's where I'll go. It's where I'll take his life.
Rafiq placed a feather on the counter, and الطائر took it.
- Rafiq: I'll leave you alone to prepare. Bring glory to the Brotherhood.
الطائر shared his knowledge on جبير الحكيم with the Rafiq, and was given leave to assassinate the target.